In this video we’re looking at proper technique on several different shrug variations (barbell shrugs, dual cable shrugs, etc) to maximize muscular development of the upper traps while avoiding injury.
▹ My favorite lifting gear:
The belt I’m wearing in the video:
Rise Old School Leather Belt: https://rise.ca/collections/lifting-gear/products/old-school-leather-belt?ref=jeff
Save 10% using discount JEFF
‣ I like this belt because it’s very lightweight, easy to carry around and doesn’t feel “bulky” at all around the waist while still doing its job. This belt isn’t designed for high level powerlifters using max weight on squats and deadlifts (a lever belt is better for that – see below) however it is very convenient and effective. I use it mostly for exercises like bent rows, bench presses, shrugs, etc. however will also use it for squats and deadlifts, especially when travelling. If you’re new to wearing a belt, this is probably the best place to get started because it is so comfortable.
The straps I’m using:
Lifting Straps – Military
Save 10% using discount JEFF
My preferred belt for heavy squats and deadlifts:
Rise 10mm Lever Belt: https://www.rise.ca/collections/men-lifting-belts/products/10mm-lever-belt-black?ref=jeff
Discount JEFF saves $$
‣ This is a heavy duty belt designed for more advanced trainees with big strength goals. I use it for heavy squats and deadlifts and it is very effective. If you’re new to wearing a belt you may find it “bulky” at first and it can take some getting used to.
Watch my Neck and Trap Science Explained Video:
Support Technique Tuesday: I am choosing to leave the entire Technique Tuesday Series COMPLETELY UNSPONSORED so I can focus all of my attention on delivering the relevant information. *Each episode takes ~30-40 hours to write, produce and edit.* If you’re learning from these videos every week, consider supporting my work by trying one of my science-based training programs that best suits your goals. ($9.99 – $39.99)
Watch more Technique Tuesday videos:
Check out what my amazing sponsors have to offer:
▹ MASS (Monthly Research Review)
‣ Only $25/month (pre-paid yearly)
▹ PEScience Supplements
‣ Use discount code JEFF to save $$
▹ RISE Training Gear and Sportwear
‣ Use discount code JEFF to save 10%
▹ Body-Analyser Weight and Bodyfat % Scale
‣ Use the above link to save 60% off!
Follow me on social media:
Instagram ‣ http://instagram.com/jeffnippard
Facebook ‣ http://facebook.com/jeffnippard
Twitter ‣ http://twitter.com/jeffnippard
Podcast ‣ The Jeff Nippard Podcast on iTunes and Stitcher
If you’re eager to learn more about proper technique, I recommend subscribing to the 3DMJ Lifting Library:
Filmed at Body and Soul Gym in Kelowna, BC – my favourite 24 hr gym in the Okanagan!
‣ Ryan Little: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFK-mqdEAqE
Filmed and edited by Rashaun R and me using Final Cut Pro X and Sony A7R3
About me: I’m a Canadian natural pro bodybuilder and internationally-qualified powerlifter with a BSc in biochemistry/chemistry and a passion for science. I’ve been training for 12 years drug-free. I’m 5’5 and fluctuate between 160 lbs (lean) and 180 lbs (bulked).
Disclaimers: Jeff Nippard is not a doctor or a medical professional. Always consult a physician before starting any exercise program. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk. Jeff Nippard will not assume any liability for direct or indirect losses or damages that may result from the use of information contained in this video including but not limited to economic loss, injury, illness or death.